JoshyFun's blog

General discussion about everything related with Digital TV (Satellite, terrestrial, cable, High Definition, ...), including news related with digital TV and my web page.
Please hit "reload" to get the most recent updates.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My Hard Disk Troubles

It is not related to the DVB topic but could help somebody.

A few days ago my primary harddisk starts to fail, one bad block here and there so I buy a new one, a Seagate ST3120813AS. My previous harddisk was a Samsung one it works fine and fast but the new Seagate presents a poor performance in regular oerations but all HD tests shows around 50 MB/Sec in average which is the expected speed. After some drivers updates and different tests I went to Seagate page, look at the specs and found that this driver is a Serial ATA II one (300 MB/sec) but as my motherboard's serial ATA interface is autodetecting, the SATAII interface is not a problem... Or maybe I'm wrong ? Yes, I'm wrong!! I set the jumper to force the hard disk to operate in SATAI mode (150 MB/sec) and now its performance is the expected, fast and quiet.

When you buy a new SATAII harddisk and your SATA interface is SATAI check that your new drive has the "SATAI mode" jumper or you could be in the same trouble.

My computer is:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4HT 3.0 Ghz
MotherBoard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000G (Intel Springdale i865PE)
Memory: 1 Gigabyte DDR Dual Channel
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon 9200
ATA interface: Intel 82801EB
HardDisk: ST3120813AS (120G SATAII) and ST312026AS (120G SATAI)
Monitor: Nokia Multigraph 447Xpro (17 inch)
Other: A lot of funny and strange circuits :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home